You will love this easy-to-make full-flavored steak fajitas recipe with roasted peppers and onions that are served in a warm tortilla shell for the perfect weeknight meal. This is one of our family’s favorite things to eat.
Ingredients for this recipe:
- zest and juice of lime, about 1 ½ tablespoons
- zest and juice of 1 lemon, about 2 tablespoons
- 9 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons Mexican spice blend recipe
- 1 ½ pounds flank or skirt steak
- 2 seeded and thinly sliced small red bell peppers
- 2 seeded and thinly sliced small yellow bell peppers
- 2 seeded and thinly sliced small poblano peppers
- 1 peeled and thinly sliced yellow onion
- coarse salt and cracked pepper to taste
- freshly squeezed lime juice to taste
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- In a bowl, whisk together the lime zest, lime juice, lemon zest, lemon juice, 4 tablespoons of olive oil, and 4-5 tablespoons of the Mexican spice blend until combined. Be sure to taste it to make sure it is very flavorful.
- Next, transfer the marinade to a plastic bag along with the flank or skirt steak and mix until thoroughly combined. Place in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours.
- After marinating, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a large 12” cast-iron, stainless steel, or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Do not wait for the oil to heat up. Immediately add in the steak and cook it for 3 minutes untouched.
- Next, turn the heat down to medium and move it around the pan for 1 minute or until browned.
- Flip the steak over and cook it for 3 to 4 minutes to achieve a medium-rare internal temperature.
- Set the steak aside and squeeze the juice of ½ lime over it. Let it rest for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Discard the oil from the pan and return it to the cooktop over high heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Once smoking, add in the peppers and onions and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned but still firm.
- Season the peppers and onions with salt, pepper, and the juice of ½ lime.
- Slice the steak thinly on a bias and against the grain.
- Serve the steak alongside the roasted peppers and onions, warm flour tortillas, and optional garnishes.