Veggie Hungry Cottage Pie
Veggie lovers, this twist on cottage pie is just for you👇
300g orange sweet potato, peeled and cubed 2 tbsp (28g) butter
1 onion, chopped
1 large carrot, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp tomato paste
4 cups (1000ml) vegetable stock
11⁄2 cups IMBO Whole Brown Lentils, rinsed and drained
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease a large (30cmx15cm) baking dish with grease-spray.
2. In a medium pot, boil the sweet potato cubes in 4 cups of water until soft and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Drain well, add the butter and mash until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
3. In a large pot over low heat, sauté the onion with the carrots and garlic until soft. Add the salt and pepper, smoked paprika and cumin and stir to combine.
4. Increase the heat to medium-high and add in the tomato paste, thyme, vegetable stock and the IMBO Whole Brown Lentils and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
5. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the corn flour to the lentil mixture and stir to combine. *Chef’s Tip: Corn flour helps to thicken the filling!
6. Spoon the lentil mixture into the baking dish in an even layer and smooth the sweet potato mash over the top. Using a small spoon, create waves on the mash by gently sliding the spoon over small portions of the mash and swiftly lifting it up.
7. Place the dish in the oven for 10 minutes or until the top is slightly golden.
8. Remove the cottage pie from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Slice into even squares, serve and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook 👉🏼 https://www.facebook.com/groups/301933683643677/