If it looks like meat, feels like meat, tastes like meat then it is…. Vegetarian meat balls! These meatless meatballs are relay feels like real meatballs, but they are not, they are 100% meatless. You can serve these veggie meatballs with your favourite dipping sauce or in tomato sauce.
For the meatballs:
2 pounds (900g) Mushrooms
1 Onion, finely chopped
2-3 Garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup (60g) Quick Oats or more
2 tablespoons Parmesan, grated
2 tablespoons Parsley, chopped
2 Eggs, medium
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
2 teaspoons Cumin
1 teaspoon Thyme
For the tomato sauce:
1 Onion, chopped
14oz (400g) Tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Oregano
- Finely chop the mushrooms.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Add chopped mushrooms and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. If needed add more oil.
- Add chopped onion and cook for 5-6 minutes, add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat and add quick oats, parsley, parmesan, salt, pepper, cumin, thyme and other spices if desired. Mix well and allow to cool slightly. Add eggs and mix until well combined.
- If the mixture is too wet, add 1-2 tablespoons of four/breadcrumbs.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 190C (375F).
- Form the mixture into balls and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes. You also can fry the meatballs.
- Meanwhile make the sauce: in a pan over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add chopped onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes, add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and 1/2 cup of water, cook for 1 minute.
- Add the meatballs, mix well, cook covered, for 10-15 minutes.
*Recipe inspired by chef John from “food wishes”.