#Bread #SodaBread #Irish
Traditional White Soda Bread Recipe.
If you have any questions about this traditional Irish white soda bread recipe then please leave me a comment and I will reply ASAP. Happy Baking everyone! 🙂
• Prep Time: 10 mins.
• Cook Time: 45 mins.
• Total Time: 55 mins.
• The recipe will serve 1-10 people.
• 3 cup + 1 tbsp (497g/17½oz) All Purpose Flour/Plain Flour.
• 1 tsp Salt.
• 1 tsp Baking Soda/Bicarbonate of Soda.
• 2 tbsp (30g/1oz) Butter. (At room temperature).
• 1½ cup + 3 tbsp (400ml/13½ fl oz) Buttermilk.
• 1 Egg (Medium sized).
1. Preheat the oven:
Fan Oven: 180°C/355°F.
Gas Mark 6.
2. Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium-sized bowl.
3. Add the butter and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles bread crumbs.
4. In a separate bowl or jug, whisk the buttermilk and egg together.
5. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk, reserving 1 tbsp for glazing the soda bread.
6. Using an open hand or spoon, bring the flour and buttermilk mixture into a loose dough. The dough should be soft, but not too sticky.
7. Turn onto a floured work surface and work the dough gently to bring it together into a round shape about 8 inches by 8 inches.
8. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet or line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
9. Score the bread with a sharp knife by making a deep cross on top.
10. Poke a hole in the 4 corners of the bread to release the fairies and stop them from ruining the bread (see video).
11. Glaze the bread with the leftover buttermilk mixture.
12. Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes. When baked, the loaf will sound slightly hollow when tapped on the bottom.
13. Remove from the baking sheet and place on a wire rack to cool.
14. Serve with Irish butter and jam.
15. Mmm Scrummy!!!
• Store for up to 4 days at room temperature in a suitable container, and place in a dark, dry cupboard.
• Freeze for up to 3 months.