Today we’re making vodka sauce with a bit of spice, Pecorino Romano, and cannellini beans. I combined two of our favorites, vodka sauce and pasta fagioli a while back and everyone loved it. I hope you enjoy this easy recipe!
Note: This makes more sauce than is needed for 1 pound of pasta. Just pull 1 1/2 cups of sauce out of the pan before finishing.
1 pound rigatoni
1/2 cup pecorino romano
1/2 small onion – diced
1 32 ounce can cannellini beans
1/4 cup basil leaves – hand torn for finishing
4 cloves garlic – sliced
¼ cup olive oil
1 can plum tomatoes – hand crushed or blender pulsed
1 cup heavy cream
4 oz. vodka
4 oz. dry white wine
½ teaspoon chili flakes
reserved pasta water for thinning – will most likely not need
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Saute onion in olive oil in a large pan over medium heat until translucent (about 3 minutes). Add garlic and continue to saute for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add chili flakes, cook 30 seconds, then add the wine and vodka to the pan and cook on medium-high heat until boiling. Let boil for 1-2 minutes then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook pasta to al dente.
- Next, add in the plum tomatoes and bring to a simmer turning heat to medium-low.
- Add the cream and mix thoroughly. Also, add the beans. Let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Remove 1 1/2 cups sauce before adding the pasta to the pan (can always add back later). Add the al dente pasta to the saucepan and stir. Add the Pecorino Romano and thoroughly mix it together. Turn off the heat.
- Taste test and adjust salt, pepper, and Calabrian chili paste if necessary. Add the hand-torn basil all over the pasta. Enjoy.