Today we’re making a summer zucchini pizza with thin slices of zucchini, mozzarella, garlic oil, basil, and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. This is one of the best pizzas I’ve made yet. I hope you enjoy this zucchini pizza recipe!
ZUCCHINI PIZZA INGREDIENTS
FOR THE DOUGH (using grams will be much more accurate)
406 grams or 3 ¼ cups bread flour (used King Arthur)
1.5 grams or half teaspoon of Instant yeast ( SAF Red Instant Yeast)
8 grams or 1 ½ teaspoons table salt
4.5 grams or 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
9 ounces cold water – right from the sink – doesn’t have to be freezing cold
1 tablespoon olive oil – plus more for container
FOR THE PIZZA
1 (24 ounce dough ball)
4 medium zucchini – sliced very thin
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1/4 cup packed basil leaves
¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese – grated
3 cloves garlic – minced
5/8 cup olive oil – divided – plus more
12 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese – Use enough mozzarella to cover the pizza completely.
- Place water in a large bowl.
- Mix together dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to water a bit at a time and mix thoroughly to form a dry rough mass.
- Pour the oil over the dough, mix, and place the rough dough onto a work surface.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, place a clean bowl inverted over the dough and wait 30 minutes before resuming. Return to kneading (just make sure to knead for 5 minutes).
- Place the bowl over the lid once more and let sit for 30-40 minutes to warm up.
- Pull the dough towards its end repeatedly to form a smooth ball. Pinch the seam side and leave on the bottom. Place the dough ball into an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before using.
MAKING THE ZUCCHINI PIZZA
- Take the dough out of the fridge for 60 minutes prior to using. Do not uncover the bowl.
- Oil the bottom of a 12 by 16 sheet pan with a ~¼ cup of olive oil.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place it into the heavily oiled sheet pan and press with fingers to the size of the pan. You will not be able to do this in 1 attempt. Place plastic over the pan and let the dough warm up. After 30-45 minutes remove plastic and try to stretch it again to the size of the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and repeat process one more time until the dough has completely filled the pan. Cover the dough one more time and set aside. Preheat oven to 450f and set the rack to lowest level of the oven.
- While waiting for dough to warm up, generously salt the zucchini slices to encourage the release of water. After 45-60 minutes rinse the zucchini then pat very dry with paper towels.
- Mince the garlic and add to a bowl with a ¼ cup of olive oil.
- Remove the plastic from the pan and if required press the dough into the edges. Right away layer the mozzarella cheese in an overlapping shingle pattern, leaving the outside half-inch uncovered. Start with a corner. By pressing down slightly you can lock the dough into the corner. Make sure the dough is layered completely with the mozzarella slices.
- Next add the rinsed and dried zucchini slices in an overlapping pattern. Drizzle the garlic oil all over the top of the zucchini.
- Place the pizza into the 450f oven on the lowest rack and cook for 11 minutes. Remove the pizza and check the bottom. If it’s well browned move the pizza to the top oven rack and cook for 9 minutes more. If the pizza bottom is blond cook for the remaining time on the lowest rack. If a browner top is desired carefully broil for last 30-60 seconds.
- Total cook time approx 20 minutes. Before serving hand tear the basil and spread all over the pizza. Grate and distribute the parmesan cheese as well. Enjoy!