ORDER YOUR COOKBOOKS, MERCH, & SUSHI MASTERCLASS HERE:
LEARN HOW TO MAKE AN EASY LEBANESE INSPIRED ZA’ATAR RICE RECIPE WITH ONLY ONE PAN!
LAY HO LAY HO! There’s only one thing more comforting than a beautiful bowl of flavourful rice – the fact that only one pan is required 😉 Join me in this episode and learn how to make a deliciously easy Lebanese inspired za’atar rice recipe today!
1/3 cup pine nuts
1 cup basmati rice
100g extra firm tofu
1 tbsp avocado oil
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp dark soy sauce
3 pieces garlic
1 red onion
1 green chili
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp za’atar
1 tsp sweet paprika
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups water
5-6 slices lemon
1/3 cup chopped parsley
pickled turnips to serve
1. Heat up a nonstick pan to medium heat. Add the pine nuts and toast for 3-4min. Then, set them aside
2. Rinse and drain the basmati rice 2-3 times to get rid of the excess starch. Then, set aside
3. Pat dry the extra firm tofu with a paper towel and place into a bowl. Crumble the tofu with a fork
4. Heat the pan back to medium heat. Add the avocado oil followed by the tofu. Sauté for 4-5min
5. Add the soy sauce and dark soy sauce. Sauté for another 2-3min. Then, set aside
6. Finely chop the garlic, red onion, and green chili. Dice the tomato
7. Heat the pan back to medium heat. Add the olive oil followed by the red onions and green chili. Sauté for 2-3min
8. Add the garlic, za’atar, and sweet paprika. Sauté for about 1min. Add the rice, diced tomato, and a pinch of salt. Sauté for another minute
9. Add the crumbled tofu and water. Give the pan a good mix
10. Arrange the lemon slices on top of the rice and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to medium low and cover and cook for 15min. Then, turn the heat off and let the rice steam further for 10min
11. Remove the lemon slices. Add the pine nuts and half of the chopped parsley to the rice. Gently fold over the rice to combine
12. Plate the rice generously. Sprinkle with a little bit more parsley and serve with some pickled turnips
If you enjoyed this episode and would love to see more, remember to like, comment, and subscribe so that you won’t miss a single episode!
Hong Kong born Canadian, Wil Yeung is an international photographer, filmmaker, entrepreneur, violinist, and YouTube chef. He immigrated to Canada when he was a young boy carrying with him his ability to speak Cantonese and some broken English. Much of his culinary aspirations stem from his background in the visual and musical art spaces. Whether you’re plant based or plant based curious, Wil believes that learning how to make food can really change your life and of those around you.
STAY IN THE LOOP ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
Wil’s Recipes on Instagram: @yeungmancooking
Wil’s Recipes on Facebook: fb.me/yeungmancooking.com
Wil’s Photography + Video on Instagram: @wyphotography.com
Wil’s Photography + Video on Facebook: wyphotography
You are watching: