This delicious homemade BLT Sandwich recipe is stacked high with crisp lettuce, fresh tomatoes, crispy bacon, and aioli on toasted sourdough bread.
BLT is short for bacon, lettuce, and tomato, which are layered upon toasted bread. While it seems, the BLT has been around forever, the sandwich actually started to show up in British cookbooks in the early 20th century.
Ingredients for this recipe:
For the Aioli:
• ½ cup aioli recipe
• ¼ cup shredded asiago cheese
• 1 tablespoon chiffonade basil
For the Sandwich
• ¼ cup softened unsalted butter
• 8 slices sourdough bread
• 8 leaves leaf lettuce
• 4 thinly sliced large ripe tomatoes
• 24 strips crisp-cooked bacon
• 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1. Aioli: add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and mix together until combined. Keep cool in the refrigerator until it’s ready to use.
2. Spread the butter evenly on both sides of all the sliced bread and cook on low heat in a large skillet until browned, about 2 minutes per side.
3. To Plate: Spread some aioli on one side of sliced toasted bread and then layer on sliced leaf lettuce, sliced tomatoes, bacon, and sprouts. Spread some more aioli on another sliced of bread and then place it aioli side down onto the BLT sandwich and press down on it. Slice and serve.
Make-Ahead: BLT sandwiches are meant to be eaten as soon as they are done being prepared.
How to Store: If possible, keep all of the ingredients separate and covered and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If the sandwich is already made, then cover it and keep it in the refrigerator for 1 day. This will not freeze well.
You can absolutely use plain sliced white bread.
Tomatoes I like to use are vine-ripe, 5×6, Roma, heirloom, yellow, and green.