Learn how to make the easiest scones ever with this simple recipe! Whether you prefer savoury scones or sweet scones, we’ve got you covered! Choose between a jam scone or a cheesy chutney scone for the ultimate teatime nibble, lunchbox treat, or prep-ahead snack! These are so delicious, they’ll be scone in minutes! 😉
🛎️ Subscribe to our channel to join our Foodies fam & HIT that notification bell so you’ll never miss a new delicious recipe.
Makes 16 of each variant
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 20 minutes
½ cup NESTLÉ KLIM Full Cream Instant Milk Powder
2¼ cups (254g) self-raising flour
¼ tsp salt
50g margarine, cubed
1 egg, beaten
Serving suggestion for the jam-swirled scones:
2 tbsp strawberry jam
Serving suggestion for the chutney-cheese scones:
2 tbsp chutney
2 tbsp grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Add the NESTLÉ KLIM Full Cream Instant Milk Powder into a large bowl and sieve in the self-raising flour and salt.
3. Rub the margarine into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
4. Pour in ¾ cup of warm water and mix until a soft dough is formed. Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead gently for about 30 seconds.
5. To make the jam-swirled scones: Spoon the jam into the dough and gently fold to create a jam-swirled effect.
6. To make the chutney-cheese scones: Add the chutney and cheese into the dough and knead gently for another 30 seconds to ensure that the filling is evenly distributed.
7. Flatten the dough out until it is about 2cm thick. Use a round, 4cm in diameter, cookie cutter to cut out 16 circles and arrange them onto the baking tray.
8. Lightly brush the top of the scones with the beaten egg and bake for 12 minutes or until slightly golden and puffed.
9. Allow the scones to cool for 5 minutes. Top the sweet scones with fresh strawberries and the savoury scones with a sprinkle of chopped chives.
10. Serve both variants with margarine and tea and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook 👉🏼 https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodiesofsa