How to make Sticky Toffee Pudding, a full baking tutorial.
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Cook Time: 45 mins.
Total Time: 1 hour.
Makes enough to serve eight people.
For the Sponge Pudding.
10½ tablespoons (125g/4 ½ oz) butter.
¾ cup (150g/5oz) light muscovado sugar.
1 tablespoon of treacle.
1 tablespoon of golden syrup.
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
1¼ cups (150g/5oz) self-raising flour.
⅔ cup (150g/5oz) dates, chopped.
1 cup (250ml/8.5floz) water.
2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda.
For the Toffee Sauce.
7 tablespoons (100g/3 ½ oz) butter.
¾ cups (150g/5oz) dark muscovado sugar.
3 tablespoons golden syrup.
⅔ cup (150ml/5 fl oz) double/heavy cream.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Pinch of salt.
Vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or custard.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3
- Grease a 20cm/8” round ovenproof dish.
- Chop the dates and place in a saucepan with the water and bring to a simmer.
- After cooking for a couple of minutes add the bicarbonate of soda taking care as this mixture will foam up. Set to one side.
- Beat the butter and light muscovado sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the golden syrup, treacle, eggs and vanilla extract and continue to mix.
- Add the flour, continuing to beat until it’s all mixed in.
- Add the date mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour into the prepared ovenproof dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until firm and springy to touch.
- The toffee sauce, melt the butter, dark muscovado sugar and golden syrup together in a pan.
- When the sugar has dissolved add the cream, vanilla extract and salt.
- Bring to a slow simmer for 4 minutes until the toffee sauce has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 1 minute while continuing to stir.
- Pour the sticky toffee sauce over the pudding reserving some to pour over the pudding when served.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream, custard or cream.
- Mmm Scrummy!!