Make this Italian classic Chicken Scallopini Recipe that is pan-fried in olive oil and served with a tasty buttery Mushroom sauce with Parmigiana Reggiano. I promise this will quickly go into your regular rotation once you try it.
Ingredients for this recipe:
- 4 10-to-12-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- ½ peeled and small-diced shallot
- 2 finely minced garlic cloves
- 13 tablespoons ice cold unsalted butter, cut into ½” thick slices
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- Juice of ½ lemon, about 1 1/2 tablespoons
- ½ cup finely grated parmigiana Reggiano cheese + more for garnish
- finely minced parsley and lemon zest for garnish (optional)
- coarse salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- Slice the chicken breasts in half widthwise. This is known as butterflying.
- Place the sliced chicken breast one at a time into plastic zip bag and gently pound it with a mallet or the bottom of a medium-sized pot.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper and briefly set them to the side on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
- Next, in a shallow wide bowl or a cake or pie pan add in the flour and season it lightly with salt and pepper and mix until combined using a whisk or fork.
- One at a time, gently dredge the pounded seasoned chicken breasts in some seasoned all-purpose flour. Set them to the side on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper until they are all finished.
- Add some olive oil to a large 12” frying pan over medium heat.
- After about 90 seconds of the oil heating up, add in the chicken and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Set the cooked chicken breasts to the side and add in the sliced mushrooms to the pan, turn the heat up to high, and sauté until well browned, which takes about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Scrape the mushrooms to one side of the pan and in the other side of the pan add in the shallots, garlic, and 1 tablespoon of butter and quickly stir and sauté for 1 minute. Then mix everything together.
- Deglaze with white wine and cook over high heat until au sec, or almost gone.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add in the juice of ½ lemon and vigorously mix in the remaining 12 tablespoons of ice-cold butter until emulsified.
- Next, stir in the cheese until combined and creamy. See chef note below if the sauce breaks.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper and then place the chicken back in to heat it back up.
- Garnish with parsley, more cheese, and the zest of the remaining ½ lemon. Try serving with my Italian Potatoes.