Ingredients for Mughlai Chicken Handi:
- Boneless Chicken thighs, 1” pieces- 450-500 gms
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Crushed Pepper- 3/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 1.5 tsp
- Coriander Powder- 2 tsp
- Cumin Powder- 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder- 3/4 tsp
- Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek leaves) – 2 tsp
- Grated Onion- 100 gms (2 small)
- Ginger Garlic paste- 2 tsp
- Readymade tomato purée or paste- 4 tbsp
- Whisked Curd/Yogurt- 3 tbsp
- Cashew paste- 12 cashews
- Green Chillies, sliced- 3
- Refined Oil- 3 tbsp
- Coriander leaves, chopped- 2 tbsp
- Cut the boneless chicken thighs into 1” pieces. Marinate with salt and crushed pepper. Mix and set aside for 30 mins.
- Grate the onion and whisk the curd/yogurt.
- Make a paste of the cashew nuts. To make cashew paste, add the whole cashews into a grinder/blender and coarse grind into a fine powder. Add 3 tbsp water and blend into a smooth paste. Set aside for use later.
- Slice the green chillies and chop the coriander leaves for garnish.
- For tomato purée/paste, use readymade tomato purée available in stores. If not available, blend 2 medium red ripe tomatoes into a paste and use that instead.
- Dry roast the Kasuri Methi (dried Fenugreek leaves) and crush it into a coarse powder with your hand.
- Heat oil in a wok or kadhai and add the grated onion. Fry on medium heat for 4-5 mins till the colour changes. Add the ginger garlic paste, mix and continue to fry on low to medium heat for 2-3 mins.
- Now add the marinated chicken, mix and fry on high heat for 1-2 mins till the colour changes to white and slightly browned.
- Add all the spice powders other than Garam Masala Powder and Kasuri Methi, mix and fry on medium heat for 3-4 mins.
- Now add the readymade tomato purée, give a mix and fry on medium to low heat for 3-4 mins till it’s cooked and oil separates.
- Now add the cashew paste and whisked curd/yogurt, mix it well and cook on low heat for 2 mins till oil separates.
- Now add 150 ml water and sliced green chillies, give a stir and cover & cook on low heat for 15 mins till the chicken is cooked and oil separates.
- Add the garam masala powder and crushed Kasuri Methi (Fenugreek leaves), give a mix and simmer on low heat for 2-3 mins.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.