This ground beef stroganoff recipe is basically just an extremely delicious gourmet version of hamburger helper AND it only requires a little more effort to make than the boxed version.
·2lb/1kg 85/15 ground beef
·125g (1 whole) white onion, small diced
·20g (4-5 cloves) garlic, minced/pressed
·1lb/450g baby bella mushrooms, sliced
·25g (1 1/2T) tomato paste
·50g (6T) ap flour
·175g (3/4c) dry white wine
·40g (2 1/2T) worcestershire
·500g (2c) water
·21g (3 packets) powdered gelatine
·50g (3T) Better than Bouillon beef
·12oz/340g egg noodles
·225g (1c) heavy cream
·75g (1/3c) sour cream
·30g (2T) dijon mustard
·5g (2t) black pepper
- Spread beef into a thin layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
Roast on high under broiler (2nd from top rack) for 10-15 min, rotating halfway through.
Allow to cool for 5-10 min before crumbling meat.
- To cook, heat a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot over medium high. Add about 3T oil and the sliced mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Stir and saute for 2-3 min until water has released and mushrooms are browned and softened.
- Stir in onions, garlic, and a pinch of salt, scraping bottom of pot to deglaze and scrape up mushroom fond. Stir in tomato paste and flour and cook for 1-2 mins until tomato paste has turned from red to rusty in color.
- Stir in wine stirring and scraping fond from bottom of pot. Reduce until wine evaporates.
- Whisk together water, gelatine, and better than bouillon. Add into pot with mushrooms and veg and bring to a simmer.
- Add in crumbled beef with any drippings. Cook and reduce for about 10 minutes to thicken.
- While that thickens, cook noodles in salty water to just past al dente. Drain and shock with cold water to stop cooking. Return noodles to their cooking pot, add 1-2T olive oil and stir.
- Stir heavy cream into the stroganoff and cook and reduce for about 10 more minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in sour cream, dijon, and black pepper.
- To finish, combine cooked egg noodles with stroganoff. Garnish with fresh chives and dill.