If you love milk tart, we’ve got the perfect dessert recipe for you! This proudly South African dessert is ideal for both crumble and milk tart lovers alike! Watch this video to find out how to achieve 3 unmissable sweet layers: a golden biscuit base, a simple baked milk tart custard, and a tasty crumble topping. Believe us: this milk tart bake will make you *crumble* 😍
🛎️ Subscribe to our channel to join our Foodies fam & HIT that notification bell so you’ll never miss a new delicious recipe.
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Hands-off time: 90 minutes
½ cup (115g) margarine, melted
1 cup NESTLÉ Cremora
2 jumbo eggs
1½ cups (187,5g) self-raising flour
2 tbsp corn flour
¼ tin (96g) NESTLÉ Full Cream Sweetened Condensed Milk
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Lemon rooibos tea
*Microwave cooking times may vary due to wattage; use the timings below as a guide.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 20cm square baking tin with baking paper.
For the crumble:
2. In a medium-sized bowl, use an electric whisk to cream the melted margarine, ½ cup of NESTLÉ Cremora powder and 1 egg until smooth.
3. Sieve in the self-raising flour and mix by hand until a crumble dough has formed.
4. Remove a third of the dough and refrigerate until later. Press the remaining dough into the prepared baking tin to create a base. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until light golden brown in colour. *Chef’s Tip: Chill the dough for 5-10 minutes to make it easier to work with.
For the milk tart custard:
5. In a microwave-safe bowl, add the remaining ½ cup of Cremora powder, 1 egg, corn flour, 1½ cups of water, NESTLÉ Full Cream Sweetened Condensed Milk and the ground cinnamon. Stir until smooth.
6. Microwave the custard mixture for 5-6 minutes on high, whisking in 1-minute intervals to prevent lumps from forming.*Chef’s Tip: We used a 1500 Watt microwave in testing.
7. Once the custard is smooth and thickened, spoon it over the baked crumble base.
8. Grate the chilled dough evenly over the custard filling. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Allow the crumble to cool in the baking tin for a further 15-25 minutes. Transfer the crumble to a cutting board, using the baking paper to assist.
10. Slice the crumble into even-sized squares, arrange on a platter and garnish with berries. Serve alongside lemon rooibos tea and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies of SA Group on Facebook 👉 https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodiesofsa
#milktart #milktartcrumble #easydessert