We combined two epic dishes: rich meatballs and cheesy potato bake! This is a great vegetarian side dish that doesn’t skimp on flavour – and it’s a super easy recipe too! Use soya mince to make yummy vegetarian ‘meat’balls, then pack them on a tomato-infused potato bake. We love simple recipes that deliver maximum flavour with minimum fuss!
🛎️ Subscribe to our channel to join our Foodies fam & HIT that notification bell so you’ll never miss a new delicious recipe.
Hands-on time: 40 minutes
Hands-off time: 1 hour 10 minutes
½ packet (200g) Knorrox Soya Mince Savoury Mince Flavour
1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
1 cup cream
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp each salt and pepper, to season
5 large (1kg) potatoes, peeled
½ onion, finely chopped
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 large egg
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a medium rectangular baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Combine the Knorrox Soya Mince Savoury Mince Flavour with 1¼ cups of water and set aside for 15 minutes to firm up. *Chef’s Tip: Soya mince is a great plant-based protein to keep you fuller for longer!
3. Stir the tinned tomatoes, cream and sugar together and season with the salt and pepper.
4. Thinly slice the potatoes, about 2mm thick.
5. Arrange an even layer of potatoes in the prepared dish. Pour a third of the cream mixture on top. Repeat this two more times and set aside.
6. Add the onions, garlic, mixed herbs, egg and breadcrumbs to the soaked mince.
7. Spoon 2 tablespoonfuls of the soya mince mixture and using your hands, roll into a ball to form a meatball. Repeat with the remaining meatballs. *Chef’s Tip: Use wet hands to avoid the mixture from sticking!
8. Arrange the meatballs neatly on top of the potato bake.
9. Cover with foil and bake for 50-60 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Uncover, scatter the cheese on top and bake for another 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
10. Top the ‘meat’ball potato bake with some basil leaves and serve with a green salad and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook 👉🏼 https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodiesofsa