«Khorovel» means «roasting over an open fire» in Armenian, hence not only the name of dish but a main way of cooking meat or vegetable khorovats. Vegetable khorovats became so popular that an oven has been started to use for cooking it when there is no possibility to have an open fire. Khorovats is a perfect combination of baked veggies and spices and excellent side dish to meat or fish, amazing salad and appetizer.
• eggplant – 1,5 lb / 700 g
• tomato – 1,5 lb / 700 g
• bell pepper – 1,5 lb / 700 g
• onion – 14 oz / 400 g
• garlic – 2 cloves
• olive oil – 3 fl oz / 80 ml
• salt to taste
• ground red pepper to taste
• 1 fresh hot pepper
• fresh cilantro – ½ oz / 10 g
• fresh parsley – ½ oz / 10 g
• scallion – ½ oz / 10 g
You will need:
• baking sheet
• parchment paper
• carving board
1. Lay out the eggplants, bell pepper, hot pepper and tomatoes on the oven rack fixed on the baking sheet, place into the oven at the very low level and roast for 40-50 minutes at 480°F / 250°C.
2. Heat the pan with the olive oil.
3. Fry stirring the onion cut into half rings over low heat for 4-5 minutes until translucent.
4. Take the baking sheet with veggies put of the oven.
5. Peel the roasted veggies and cut into small pieces.
6. Lay into a bowl, add the fried onion, minced garlic, salt, pepper, chopped cilantro, parsley and scallion, toss.
7. Leave the khorovats for 20 minutes.
8. Serve as a salad or side dish to meat or fish.
1. Roasting vegetables over an open fire adds a dish especial smoked taste.
2. Take eggplants with glossy skin, tough and not large.
3. Cilantro can be changed for any savory greens to your taste.
4. Add hot pepper to taste.