This dish is a true favorite in Turkey. Use eggplants of medium size, they are perfect for this recipe. Make sure there are no large seeds in eggplants – it is such seeds that can add bitter taste to eggplant flesh. For cooking such a dish take a ground meat to your taste. There will come out a delicious, hearty and dainty dish, serve it with couscous, flatbread or rice.
• eggplant – 2,6 lb / 1,2 kg
• ground beef – 9 oz / 250 g
• bell pepper – 7 oz / 200 g
• onion – 6 oz /180 g
• tomatoes –3 oz / 100 g
• vegetable oil – 6 tbsp
• tomato paste – 4 tbsp
• garlic – 4 cloves
• fresh parsley – ½ oz / 10 g
• ground black pepper – ½ tsp
• red chili pepper – ½ tsp
• water – 13б 5 fl oz / 400 ml
• salt – 1,5 tsp
You will need:
• baking sheet
• parchment paper
• carving board
1. Peel the eggplants parti ally making striped and make a lengthwise cut 2-3 cm of depth leaving the tails whole.
2. Brush a parchment lined baking sheet and each eggplant on all sides with 4 tbsp of vegetable oil.
3. Lay out the eggplants on the baking sheet with the cuts up.
4. Put the baking sheet into the oven preheated to 390°F / 200°C and roast for 30 minutes until the eggplants are soft.
5. Meanwhile heat a pan with 2 tbsp of vegetable oil, add the chopped up bulb onion and fry for 4-5 minutes over medium heat stirring occasionally.
6. Add the minced garlic and 5 oz / 150 g of chopped bell pepper, stir and fry over medium heat for 3-4 minutes stirring.
7. Add the ground beef, 1 tsp of salt, red chili and black pepper into the pan and fry stirring for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.
8. Add the chopped up fresh parsley, stir and switch the heat off.
9. Take the eggplants out of the oven and unfold them neatly along the cuts making room for stuffing. Add the fried mince into each prepared eggplant.
10. Lay the tomato and bell pepper wedges on the stuffing.
11. Combine the tomato paste, water and ½ tsp of salt and pour the eggplants and baking sheet bottom with this sauce.
12. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes at 350°F / 180°C.
13. Serve your Turkish-style stuffed eggplant hot.
1. Check eggplant readiness with a wooden stick – should be soft inside.
2. You can take any ground meat to taste.
3. Take medium eggplants as they have less of seeds. Eggplants should be firm and have shiny peel, they are fresh this way.