Chicken with bones- 750 grams
- Beaten (whisked) curd (yogurt) – 200 ml
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Birista, crushed- 3 medium onions
- Salt- 1 tsp or to taste
- Red Chillies-8
- Coriander seeds-4 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 2 tsp
- Onion, quartered- 1 small
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Garam Masala powder- 1/2 tsp (Link to our Garam Masala Recipe:
Oil- 3 tbsp
- To make birista, slice 3 medium onions & fry until golden brown. Once the birista cools, lightly crush it with your hand.
- Marinate the chicken with curd, ginger-garlic paste, birista (fried onion) and salt. Set aside for an hour.
- For the paste, dry roast the coriander & cumin seeds and the red chillies for a 2-3 minutes. Let it cool. Now add all these, quartered onion & turmeric powder in a grinder & blend until smooth.
- Heat oil in a kadhai.
- Add the ground masala paste & fry on medium to low heat for 10 mins till the raw smell is gone & oil separates. Make sure the colour of the paste isn’t dark or the colour of the gravy will change.
- Add the marinated chicken, mix well & cook on high flame for around 5 mins. Continue to cook on medium flame for another 10 mins till the chicken & the masala starts changing colour.
- Add the Kashmiri Chilli powder, mix it well & cook for around 15 mins.
- Add the Garam Masala powder & simmer for another 5 mins till oil separates & all the masalas are cooked well.
- Add a cup & half of water, mix it well & cook covered for 15mins till the chicken is tender.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.