I’ve got great memories of making sandwiches with my dad using pita bread and stuffing it up with as much lettuce, tomato and lunch meat as possible. Learn how simple it is to make this homemade pita bread and serve it up to friends and family.
Ingredients for this recipe:
- 1 ½ cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 packet of active yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Makes 14 pitas
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Rise Time: 2 hours
- Add the water, yeast and 1 tablespoons of sugar to a stand mixer and whisk using a hand whisk until it is combined. Let sit for 5 to 7 minutes or until a raft has formed on the top.
- In the meantime, whisk together the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar, flours and salt until combined.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the stand mixer along with the dry flour, sugar and salt ingredients.
- Place on the hook attachment and mix on low speed for 8 to 10 minutes to knead.
- The dough should be smooth, and you want the dough to be a little sticky, but you still may need to add in a bit more flour to get it to the right consistency.
- Coat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and place in a container and cover with a lid or towel and let sit for 2 hours or until doubled in size. See note below on resting trick.
- Remove the dough and place on a lightly flour dusted surface and press to form a rough rectangle.
- Cut the dough into 12-14 pieces and then taking each piece of dough keep folding it under to form a smooth dough ball.
- Roll each dough ball out on a lightly flour dusted surface until it’s about 1/8” to 14” thick and 6” to 8” in diameter.
- Place on a cookie sheet tray lined with parchment paper or just on parchment paper on your countertop and cover with a towel and allow to rest for 20-25 minutes.
- Cook on a preheated pizza stone or sheet tray in the oven at 550° and cook for 1 to 1 ½ minutes per side until dark brown marks are formed onto the dough and so it puffs up into a hollow ball.
- Repeat the process until all the dough balls have been cooked. See note below and alternative cooking method.
- How to Reheat: The best way to warm up pita is to wrap it up in foil or in a pan with a lid and place it in the oven at 350° for 4-5 minutes or until warm.
- Make Ahead: You can make this bread up to 1 day in advance and heat up before serving.
- How to Store: Place covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- How to Freeze: Place covered in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- You may use 100% all-purpose flour in this recipe.
- When the dough is done kneading it should be smooth and spring back when pressing down, and if you pinch it, it should stick a bit to your fingers.
- For a little rising trick place your covered bowl of dough in the oven with only the oven light on as it will act as a perfect proofing environment.