HOMEMADE APPLE PIE EGG ROLLS Would you SMASH or PASS?
– ¼ cup butter
– 4 medium Granny Smith apples, chopped (about 5 cups)
– 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
– 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
– 1 teaspoon apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
– ½ teaspoon vanilla
– Pinch salt
– 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 10 egg roll wrappers
– 1 egg, lightly beaten
– Vegetable oil for frying
– Powdered sugar or granulated sugar
– In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add apples and cook for 2 minutes. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, apple pie spice, vanilla, and salt. Cook and stir 5 to 8 minutes or until apples begin to soften. Add flour. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice. Cool slightly.
– Place an egg roll wrapper on a clean work surface in the shape of a diamond. Brush edges with egg. Spoon 3 tablespoons filling onto the bottom one-third of the wrapper, leaving about a 1-inch border on the side edges. Carefully but tightly fold the corner nearest you over the filling then fold the sides over. Tightly roll towards the furthest corner, making sure to keep the roll as tight as you can. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. Cover rolls with plastic wrap as you finish the others to prevent them from drying out.
– Clean and dry the skillet and add 1/2 to 1 inch oil to the skillet and heat to 350°F. Fry egg rolls, 3 to 4 at a time, about 2 minutes or until golden and heated through, turning occasionally. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate or baking sheet. Serve warm dusted with powdered sugar or sprinkled with granulated sugar.
– Let cool, serve and enjoy!