Quick and easy chocolate hazelnut ice cream that you can make at home without ice cream machine (no churn) and without eggs. If you like Nutella, you will love this ice cream.
For the hazelnut butter:
400g Hazelnuts, raw
For the ice cream:
2 cups (480ml) Heavy cream, cold
1 can (400g) Sweetened condensed milk
240g Hazelnut butter
1/2 cup (60g) Cocoa powder
- Make hazelnut butter: Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
- Spread hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast for 8-10 minutes. Until slightly browned and the skins are blistered a little.
- Allow to cool for 3-4 minutes on the tray. Wrap the hazelnuts in a kitchen towel and rub vigorously to remove as much loose skin as possible. Remove skinned hazelnuts and repeat the process with unskinned hazelnuts. Note: it’s pretty hard to remove all the skin, try to remove as much as possible but it’s fine if you left with some skin on. Let cool completely.
- Place hazelnuts into the blender, add salt (optional) and blend until smooth and creamy, pausing to scrape down the sides as necessary. Note: At the beginning it seems like it’s not blending well, but you have to be patient. First it will be crumbly, then it will form a paste, then it will be smooth and creamy. All the process takes about 5-15 minutes (depending on your blender/food processor).
- Make the ice cream: In a large bowl, place cold heavy cream. Whip to stiff peaks. Add sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup (240g) hazelnut butter/paste and whisk on low speed until incorporated. Chop 1/4 of roasted hazelnuts and add to the ice cream, gently fold. This step is optional.
- Transfer into a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.