You’re never going to want to serve White Star pap the same way again👇🧀
1½ cups (375g) White Star Super Maize Meal
2 tbsp (28g) butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp chopped chives, plus extra for the garnish
¼ tsp each salt and pepper
100g cheese, cut into cubes
5 tbsp flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
Oil, for frying
1. Bring a large pot with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt to the boil. In a bowl, mix 1½ cups of water with the White Star Super Maize Meal to form a paste. Gradually add the maize meal paste while whisking. Cover the pot with a lid, bring to the boil and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. *Chef’s Tip: Keep an eye on it to ensure that the pap does not burn.
2. Remove the pot from the heat and add the butter to the maize meal mixture and stir to combine. Add the garlic, chives and salt and pepper and mix one more time, ensuring that everything is combined.
3. Take a 3 tablespoon amount of pap and flatten it slightly in your hands, add a cube of cheese (about 5g) in the middle and shape it so that the pap covers the cheese, resembling a medallion type shape.
4. Dip each medallion into the flour, then the egg wash and then the bread crumbs, ensuring that they are well covered.
5. Fill your oil 3cm up in the pot and bring it to medium heat. Fry the pap cakes in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy. Allow to drain on paper towel.
*Chef’s tip: To test if your oil is at temperature, dip the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil. If bubbles appear, its ready!
6. Garnish the pap cakes with chives, serve alongside a meal and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook 👉 https://www.facebook.com/groups/301933683643677/