Ever wondered how to make the most delicious potato bake? We’ll show you not only how to perfect this iconic dish, but also how to pack it with protein! This easy cheesy dish is ideal as a braai side, an all-in-one family dinner, or a prep-ahead meal! Once you’ve added spicy pilchards to your potato bake, there’s no going back! 😍
🛎️ Subscribe to our channel to join our Foodies fam & HIT that notification bell so you’ll never miss a new delicious recipe.
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Hands-off time: 1 hour 10 minutes
2 tins (400g each) Lucky Star Pilchards in Hot Chilli Sauce
1 tin (380g) evaporated milk
1 tsp each salt and pepper (optional)
2 cups grated cheese
3 large potatoes
1 packet (28g) potato chips
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Remove the Lucky Star Pilchards in Hot Chilli Sauce from the tin and c arefully remove the bones using a fork. *Chef’s Tip: It is not necessary to remove the bones as they are safe to eat!
3. In a mixing bowl, lightly mix the pilchards and their sauce with the evaporated milk, salt, pepper and 1 cup of cheese until just combined.
4. Peel and thinly slice the potatoes, about 2mm.
5. In an ovenproof square baking dish, layer the sliced potatoes and pilchard mixture creating about 3 layers of each. Finish with the pilchard mixture as the final layer.
6. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
7. Remove the dish from the oven and change the oven setting to grill. Remove the foil, add the remaining cheese and crush over the store-bought potato chips for a crispy crust. Grill the potato bake in the oven for 8 minutes or until the topping is golden and crispy.
8. Garnish the bake with parsley. Serve warm with a salad and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook 👉 https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodiesofsa
#potatobake #pilchards #dinnerideas