Learn how to make easy potato bombs! Our cheesy chicken mash potato bombs are packed with proudly South African flavour: chutney-mayo. We made an easy microwave mashed potato recipe, roll them into balls and filled them with chutney-mayo chicken and cheese before rolling in crumbs for the crispy potato ball exterior and fry off! These crispy cheesy potato bombs recipe makes an easy savoury snack, quick lunchbox idea and easy kid’s treat too. These crispy potato bombs are a great way to use your leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken too! Try our cheesy chicken potato bites recipe and let us know what you think!
🛎 SUBSCRIBE to our channel to join our Foodies fam & HIT that notification bell so you’ll never miss a new delicious recipe!
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Hands-off time: 35 minutes
7 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp chopped parsley, plus extra for the garnish
1 pack (15g) Knorrox All-in-1 Chicken Flavoured Seasoning
¾ cup shredded rotisserie chicken
⅓ cup mayonnaise
⅓ cup chutney
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup flour
1 cup breadcrumbs
Oil, for frying
1. To prepare the mashed potatoes, rinse the cut potatoes and add them to a large heatproof bowl. Add ½ cup of water and cover the bowl with a microwave-safe lid. *Chef’s Tip: If using plastic wrap, cut a small vent for steam.
2. Microwave the potatoes on high (700W) for 20-23 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Toss them halfway through.
3.Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave using oven mitts and drain any remaining water. Mash the potatoes while hot, adding in the butter. Add the parsley and half of the spice (7g) in the pack of Knorrox All-in-1 Chicken Flavoured Seasoning before mixing well. *Chef’s Tip: Refrigerate for 30 minutes to help the potatoes mould better.
4.In a large bowl, combine the shredded rotisserie chicken with the remaining pack (7g) of chicken flavoured seasoning and stir to combine.
5.Add in the mayonnaise and chutney and mix well until combined.
6.With lightly floured hands, place about 4 tablespoons of the mashed potato in one hand, creating a well in the centre. Spoon a tablespoon of the chicken filling into the well and top with a teaspoon of cheese. Mould the mashed potato around the filling to enclose it, creating a circle. Press firmly to hold shape. Repeat with the remaining mash and filling to create 15 balls.
7. Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl. Dip each of the potato balls first into the flour, then egg and lastly in the breadcrumbs and place on a tray. *Chef’s Tip: If preparing these in advance for another day, freeze at this stage.
8. In a medium pot, heat 5cm oil until hot. *Chef’s Tip: When you insert a wooden spoon into the oil and bubbles form around the edge, the oil is ready.
9. Fry the potato balls in batches until golden brown, for about 3-4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place the fried potato balls on paper towel to drain the excess oil.
10. Arrange the crispy potato balls on a serving platter. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, serve alongside chutney and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook 👉🏼 https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodiesofsa
#shorts #chickenmayorecipe #easycooking