Chocolate Tiramisu 🍫 | The perfect make-ahead dessert – coffee soaked ladyfingers, creamy mascarpone and dark and white shavings of chocolate – it can’t be beaten!
Time: 30mins + setting time
4 large free-range eggs
120g caster sugar
1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
250g savoiardi di fonni or ladyfinger biscuits
300g best quality dark chocolate, in large thick shavings
150g white chocolate, in large thick shavings
Splash of vin santo or Marsala
Cocoa powder to dust
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until light and frothy. Mix in the mascarpone and vanilla until combined and set aside.
2. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until white and stiff. Add a large spoonful of the beaten egg whites to the mascarpone and mix through. Add the rest of the egg whites and fold through gently.
3. Spread a little of the mascarpone mixture across the base of of a trifle dish and then arrange the savoiardi di fonni across the base. Soak the biscuits in espresso and a swig of vin santo. Carefully spread a layer of the mascarpone mixture and sprinkle over a little of the dark chocolate shavings.
4. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients ending with a final layer of mascarpone mix. Dust with a little cocoa powder and finish with a final garnish of dark and white chocolate shavings. Leave in the fridge to set for at least one hour.
5. TOP TIPIf you’re stuck for time, make up mini versions in individual glasses and give each guest their very own tiramisu.