An easy cheese sauce + spinach + Low GI bread = the best-ever breakfast loaf! Gone are the days of boring breakfasts! Instead, arrange slices of bread in a loaf tin and smother in a cheesy spinach sauce, top with MORE cheese, and bake until toasty. Wait until you see the cheese-pull 😱 You won’t be-LEAF how tasty this simple vegetarian breakfast is!
🛎️ Subscribe to our channel to join our Foodies fam & HIT that notification bell so you’ll never miss a new delicious recipe.
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 30 minutes
12 slices SASKO Low GI Seeded Whole Wheat Brown Bread
⅓ cup (75g) butter
¼ cup (31g) cake flour
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, sliced
1 cup milk
1 tsp each salt and pepper, to season
¼ tsp paprika
1 bags (200g) baby spinach, finely chopped
1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a large loaf tin with greased baking paper, slightly hanging over the sides of the tin to assist with removal of the loaf.
2. Loosely arrange the SASKO Low GI Seeded Whole Wheat Brown Bread slices into the loaf tin and set aside.
3. In a large pot over medium heat, add in the butter, flour and garlic and mix together until melted and a paste forms. Add in the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes until softened.
4. Slowly, add in the milk, salt, pepper and paprika and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened.
5. Add in the spinach and cook until it has wilted and can easily be covered in the sauce. Add 1 cup of cheese to the spinach mixture and mix until melted.
6. Separate the slices of bread in the loaf tin and scoop 3 tablespoons of creamy spinach in between the slices, making sure to cover each slice of bread well.
7. Top the loaf with the remaining ½ cup of grated cheese, pressing some of the cheese in between the slices and place the loaf in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the top is golden brown and slightly crispy.
8. Allow the loaf to cool for 10 minutes. Using the baking paper to assist, lift the loaf out of the tin and place it on a serving board.
9. Pull the slices apart, serve alongside orange juice and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook 👉🏼 https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodiesofsa