Cheesy Pilchard & Beans On Toast
Watch this video 👆🏽 to find out how to make a cheesy beans on toast bake 🤩 The classic ‘beans on toast’ gets a quick and easy cheesy, pilchard feed-a-family twist! 🤯 This pantry staple meal can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner – how versatile? 😱
🛎️ Subscribe to our channel to join our Foodies fam & HIT that notification bell so you’ll never miss a new delicious recipe.
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 30 minutes
1 tin (410g) Lucky Star Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce
1 tin (400g) Lucky Star Pilchards in Sweet Chilli Sauce
2 cups (250g) grated cheddar cheese
4 tbsp melted butter
6 slices white bread
1 medium eggs
½ tin (190g) evaporated milk
½ tsp each salt and pepper, to season
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C and lightly grease a small 20×20 cm size baking dish.
2. Strain the tomato sauce from the Lucky Star Baked Beans. Pour the strained sauce into an ice tray and freeze into blocks. *Chef’s Tip: The frozen tomato blocks can be used to flavour stews or curries.
3. Pour the Lucky Star Pilchards in Sweet Chilli Sauce, strained baked beans and 1 cup of cheddar cheese into the dish and fold the ingredients together. *Chef’s Tip: The pilchards can be deboned if preferred.
4. Brush the melted butter onto both sides of each bread slice. Slice the buttered bread in half diagonally. *Chef’s tip: Garlic butter can be used for an extra garlic kick!
5. Arrange the halved bread slices over the pilchard mixture in the baking dish, sliced side down and slightly overlapping one another.
6. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the eggs and evaporated milk to create a savoury custard. Season with ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper and whisk until smooth.
7. Pour the custard mixture over the layered slices of bread. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and set.
8. Allow the bake to cool for 5-10 minutes to set. Serve alongside salad greens, a sprinkling of chopped parsley and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies of SA Group on Facebook 👉 https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodiesofsa
#cheesypilchards #beansontoast #pilchardsrecipe