#CarrotCake #TrayBake #Scrummy
Carrot Cake Traybake Recipe.
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Cook Time: 1 hour.
Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins.
Make a tray of 12-16 slices.
For the carrot cake:
• ¾ cup (150ml/5 fl oz) sunflower oil.
• 3 eggs
• ¾ cup (175g/6oz) dark brown sugar/soft brown sugar
• 2 ¼ cups (250g/8 ½oz) carrot, grated
• ½ cup (75g/2 ½ oz) raisins.
• Zest of 1 orange.
• 1 ¼ cups (200g/7oz) self-raising flour.
• 1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon.
• 1 tsp ground ginger
• 1 ½ tsp mixed spice.
For the cream cheese frosting:
• ¾ + 1 tbsp (125g/4 ½ oz ) icing sugar.
• ½ cup + 1 tbsp (125g/4 ½ oz ) butter, room temperature.
• 1 cup + 1 tbsp (250g/8 ½ oz) cream cheese, drained.
• 1 tsp vanilla extract.
For the decorations:
• Chopped nuts – you can use walnuts, pecans, or both.
• Icing sugar and a little mixed spice.
PART 1 – To make the carrot cake loaf:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Line a 9"x9” square tin.
3. Add the eggs, sugar and sunflower oil to a medium-size bowl and mix until combined.
4. Add the grated carrot, raisins and orange zest and fold through to combine.
5. Add the flour, baking soda, ginger, mixed spice and cinnamon and mix again making sure not to overmix.
6. Pour the mixture into the lined tin and bake in the oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
7. When baked allow it to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before removing it to cool further on a wire rack.
PART 2 – To make cream cheese frosting:
1. Place the room temperature butter in a medium-size bowl and mix for about 2 minutes until smooth.
2. Add in all the icing sugar and mix again for about 4 minutes so it’s smooth.
3. Add the vanilla extract and the cream cheese and mix on a low speed until fully combined and thick taking care not to overmix.
4. Refrigerate until ready to use.
PART 3 – To decorate:
1. Slather the cream cheese frosting on top of the cake or pipe the cream cheese using your favourite icing tip – I use a Wilton 8B tip.
3. Decorate with chopped nuts and sprinkle icing sugar and a little mixed spice on top.
1. This carrot cake loaf should be kept in the fridge because of the cream cheese and will last for up to 3 days. It tastes better the next day.
2. If freezing, wrap in cling wrap (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze for up to three months.
3. Defrost at room temperature for a few hours prior to serving. If you wish to serve warm, place it on a baking tray for 10 minutes in a moderate oven 180°C/160°C Fan/350°F.
4. It is possible to freeze the carrot cake and cream cheese frosting – freeze the decorated cake uncovered and when frozen wrap in cling wrap. 5. Prior to serving remove from the freeze and remove the cling wrap before placing it in the fridge to defrost fully before serving.