Biltong & Cream Cheese Wreath
A match made in heaven = Biltong, cheese & Aromat!
¾ tub (170g) plain cream cheese
1 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
3 tsp KNORR Aromat Naturally Tasty Seasoning
¾ cup thinly sliced biltong
⅓ cup chopped piquanté peppers
1 sheet store-bought puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray (25cmx40cm) with baking paper.
2. Add the cream cheese to a large mixing bowl and soften using a wooden spoon.
3. Add ¾ cup of grated cheese and 2 teaspoons of KNORR Aromat Naturally Tasty Seasoning and mix until fully combined. Add the sliced biltong and chopped piquanté peppers and fold through until well dispersed. Set aside.
4. On a large square of baking paper, roll out the pastry until about 5mm thick. Cut a large circle out of the pastry, setting pastry offcuts aside. Transfer the pastry onto a tray keeping the baking paper underneath. Using a sharp knife and a medium-sized bowl, mark a circle in the centre (without slicing through). Cut 4 slits into the centre circle, crossing over one another to create a ‘star’.
5. Spoon and spread the cream cheese filling onto the thicker circle (around the centre ‘star’), leaving a 1-2 cm rim on each side.
6. Bring one point of the centre ‘star’ over the filling as well as bringing the outer edge of pastry over, pinching the 2 together. Continue until you have a wreath. *Chef’s Tip: Ensure all the edges are lifted to prevent the filling from seeping out during baking.
7. Roll the remaining pastry (offcuts) into a rectangle and cut long thin strips from the pastry, about 8. Sprinkle the remaining teaspoon of Aromat seasoning and remaining ¼ cup of cheese lightly over them. Twist each pastry strip and place on the baking tray next to the wreath.
8. Lightly brush the pastry with the beaten egg and bake for 20-22 minutes until golden and crispy.
9. Allow to rest for 5 minutes. Carefully transfer the wreath to a serving platter and garnish with chives. Place the pastry sticks in a tall glass to serve on the side. Slice the wreath, serve and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook 👉 https://www.facebook.com/groups/301933683643677/